In the past, skincare has often been seen as something reserved for women. Because it is often lumped in with other activities related to “beauty,” men may feel like skin care is not important for them. However, in order to look and feel their best, men need a skincare routine just as much as women do.
Benefits of a Skincare Routine for Men
Having a consistent skincare routine offers several benefits that make it a worthwhile endeavor for any man. Some of the benefits of skincare include:
1. Younger looking skin.
Practicing a consistent skincare routine will keep your skin looking younger and more vibrant, whether you are male or female. Although a man's skin may not show the signs of aging as early in life as a woman's skin does, men should begin a skincare routine early in life to keep their skin looking younger for an even longer period of time.
2. Removal of dead skin cells.
Every day, both men and women are shedding skin cells. The right skincare routine will remove these cells, allowing the new skin underneath to shine through.
3. Control of oil.
Men produce a significant amount of oil every day. A man’s skincare routine can be tailored to help control excess oil and minimize any negative effects.
4. Protection from sun damage.
Any good skincare routine will include the application of a sunscreen with a suitable SPF. Both men and women can suffer sun damage if they don't protect their skin properly. In some cases, women may not see as much damage from the sun because they are more likely to wear makeup with an SPF. Thus, it is even more important for men to practice a skincare routine that includes sun protection.
How to Create a Good Skincare Routine
Men have different skincare needs than women. Oil production is different, and men also tend to have more collagen and elastin than women. For any man, the first step to creating a good skincare routine involves determining what type of skin you have. Men may have skin that is dry, oily or a combination of the two. After you know what type of skin you have, you can choose the products that will work best for you. Be sure to use products that are specifically designed for men, as these products take a man's unique skincare needs into consideration.
Make sure that the skincare routine you create has all of the following components:
- Cleansing - It is best for men to cleanse their skin twice each day using a mild facial soap designed for their skin type.
- Exfoliating - Throughout every day, dirt, oil and debris will accumulate on your skin. Exfoliating your skin removes these substances.
- Moisturizing - After cleansing and exfoliating your skin, you need to apply an appropriate moisturizer.
- SPF - All men need to protect their skin from the sun with an appropriate skincare product. The easiest way to do this is to incorporate a moisturizer that includes UV protection.